post iMoveU bootcamp selfie
“Time is free, but it’s priceless. You can’t own it, but you can use it. You can’t keep it, but you can spend it. Once you’ve lost it you can NEVER get it back.”
My first official iMoveU bootcamp is in the books! I couldn’t have asked for a more perfect morning to host this in my backyard. My foursome included 2 great mommy friends I met when we enrolled our kids in daycare several years ago, and a new friend who tagged along with one of them. It was the perfect crew to start.
You might think it’s weird, different or not for you. All I ask is that you don’t judge until you try it. What I’m starting is a movement. I want to spend the rest of my life doing this. It gives me the freedom to work where I want, when I want, how I want to help those I love the most. I’m helping people to be Brave, Better and Happy.
As many of you know, I’m the lone nut. I’m out there dancing my butt off like Elaine on Seinfeld. And I’m LOVING it. Never in the history of my life have I ever known, with ever fiber of my being, that iMoveU is what I was put here on this earth to do. Never in my life have I been happier, more excited, more motivated or more scared. Never have I received more signs from God that this is what he had planned for me.
This is not about me, it’s about YOU. Help me help you. If you are brave enough to join me (the shirtless dancing guy- except I’m not a guy, so I won’t be shirtless. That would be weird.), I will nurture you as an equal. I will help you in any way I can to live your best life. I will make it so much fun you will LOVE waking up early.
I’ll be offering the same bootcamp again Thursday morning (5:45 am in my backyard), Saturday morning at 8 am in Iowa City, IA (where I went to college) and Sunday morning at 7 am in Gilbert, IA (where I grew up). Below is the format. Any and all are welcome to join me.
At some point, when more people are attending iMoveU bootcamps, I may need to put a limit who can come. I may have to turn people away. As much as that breaks my heart, it’s a reality. It might happen in 3 months, it might happen in 3 years. But here’s the thing, I will NEVER turn away those who were brave enough to follow me from the start. These 3 ladies have a free iMoveU membership for life.
I can’t even begin to put into words how incredibly grateful and blessed I feel to be able to do this. For me, exercising, nutrition, humor, music, and personal growth are as important to me as the air I breathe. It’s who I am. It’s been a long journey for me. I didn’t always eat healthy. In college I gained the “freshman 15″ TWICE with a steady diet of Natty Light and Gumby’s Pokey Sticks. I had terrible stomach issues all through college and though maybe I had IBS.
I began eating better about 6 years ago. After having my first child I wanted to lose the baby weight, and I also just wanted to feel better. Over those 6 years I have learned a lot about how to cook and snack healthy. My cousin Jen has been a goldmine of information. Her BLOG is amazing and full of awesome recipes, many of them I used for my Happier Hour last week.
Around the same time, I also began reading for my own personal growth. I read the book Good to Great by Jim Collins, and I haven’t looked back since. I’ve gobbled up hundreds of books that have taught me invaluable lessons on leadership, creativity, innovation, neuroscience, time management, wellness, etc….
I WANT TO SHARE ALL OF THIS WITH YOU. FOR FREE. Just show up. I’ll take it from there. Stop saying “I’m not a morning person” or “I don’t have time”. I’m not a morning person either! I hate the alarm. But I LOVE the feeling of accomplishing something alongside good friends early in the morning before my family has even opened their eyes. The rest of my day is better when I start out with exercise, learning, reflection and a healthy breakfast. So join me. I don’t want to do it alone. That would be boring. Find a friend, pressure them in to joining you, pick them up and get moving. It doesn’t matter what your activity level is. There will be modifications for EVERYONE.
Here’s the format for the 1 hour iMoveU Bootcamp:
30 Minute P90x3 video
- I chose this program because I’ve gone through about 30 exercise video programs over the past 6 years. P90X 3 is BY FAR the best in my opinion. Third times a charm. Tony finally got it right.
- I also choose this because the AMA recommended amount of exercise is 30 minutes a day 5 times a week for adults.
- Exercise comes first because it helps prepare the brain to learn.
20 Minute presentation (The Gift of Time)
- According to Eric Jensen’s book, Teaching With The Brain In Mind, adult learners should only receive 15-18 minutes of direct instruction when learning NEW CONTENT. Anything beyond that and it’s information overload. These are very focused talks. I will make a slide deck for each talk and share it on Haiku Deck (which is an AMAZING resource) and share them online. A new talk will be created each week and repeated at each iMoveU bootcamp throughout the week. (CLICK HERE to view the presentation for The Gift of Time.)
10 Minute reflection
- One of the best ways to retain new information is to immediately reflect and put it in your own words. I use the 3-2-1 approach: Share 3 things you learned, 2 things you are going to DO, and 1 person you are going to share the message with (the best way to learn is to TEACH someone else. This also allows you to pay it forward, which is a big part of what iMoveU is all about. )
Overnight oats with fresh berries. Recipe courtesy of my cousin Jen.
Healthy Food and Juice Options
During and after the presentation, there will be healthy food and juice options. This week, since it is my first week, I’m giving the food away FOR FREE. In the future however, the food will be available for purchase. This morning I had overnight oats, recipe courtesy of my cousin Jen mentioned above.
So- that’s it. 1 hour of exercising, learning, laughing, talking and eating. All focused on making you better. This is a movement in wellness. Please join me. I’m tired of being the lone nut.