The following post is for my Grad School class: Digital Media in the Classroom.
- Who are you and what do you do? Ginny Washburne- DEN Director for Discovery Education. I help build teacher community in large urban districts across the US.
- What is your primary goal for taking this course? I am taking this course as part of the Master’s of Science in Instructional Media Degree.
- What is your philosophy of education? I believe education should develop students passions, expose them to the many possibilities and instil a love of learning that lasts a lifetime.
- What do you see as the greatest benefit of using technology and/or digital media in the classroom? Access to information anywhere/anytime and the ability to make learning fun and interactive.
- What is your biggest concern or challenge with using technology and/or digital media in the classroom? Using technology just for the sake of using it instead of using it to help transform the learning environment.
- Provide an example of how you currently use technology and/or digital media in the classroom. I constantly use videos to introduce a topic/idea, I use PhotoPeach for digital storytelling, and Google Hangout to collaborate with educators.
- How does your classroom today differ from when you were the same age as your students? I’m not in a classroom, but when I was teaching it still looked very similar except for the technology (IWB, projector, computer). The curriculum was also still mostly the same.